Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book Review: The Last Little Blue Envelope

Confession: Though I read and loved Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes several years back, there have been so many books in between that my memory of it is not too good. So while I was excited to read the sequel, I thought I might have some catching up to do. I needn't have worried; the sequel could easily stand alone. And it's just as good as I've come to expect from Maureen Johnson.

In the previous book, Ginny's backpack -- containing the last little blue envelope from the series of letters written to her by her now-deceased aunt -- had been stolen in Greece. She was in Greece following instructions set forth in the letters by Aunt Peg, a free-spirit artist type whose dying wish had led Ginny on a rather wacky trip and also to some of Aunt Peg's paintings, which were Ginny's inheritance.

When mysterious Brit Oliver contacts Ginny to let her know he's found the last envelope, she begins another adventure, this one taking her from London to Amsterdam to Ireland and back again, on a road trip with Oliver, her crush Keith, and Keith's girlfriend. I truly enjoyed going along with them, and I recommend this fun YA read whether you've read the first book or not. Johnson's characters are living, breathing people you will want to spend some time with.

*I was provided an ARC (in the form of an e-book) by the publisher through NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment