Saturday, January 4, 2014

Two Brief Book Reviews

Ophelia and the Marvelous BoyOphelia and the Marvelous Boy by Karen Foxlee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An atmospheric middle-grade fantasy loosely based on the tale of the Snow Queen, this should delight children seeking a spooky adventure. Ophelia is a reluctant heroine, still reeling from the death of her mother three months before, but she is clever and ultimately brave enough to save the world.

She Is Not InvisibleShe Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Laureth, a blind sixteen-year-old, is convinced that her writer father is missing, and sets off to New York from London with her seven-year-old brother to find him. I read this in one setting and thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are well-developed, the plot was strong and fast-moving, and the ending was satisfying. What more can a reader ask for?

*Thanks to the publishers for providing e-galleys for review through NetGalley. My opinions are just that -- my own!

View all my reviews on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment