Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Review: Woolzies Dryer Balls

When I first started cloth diapering, I had to quit using dryer sheets.  Apparently they can leave residue on your diapers -- and toxic chemicals to boot.  I tried plastic dryer balls as an alternative.  While they do shorten drying time and reduce static, they are LOUD and apparently can damage the sensors in the dryer.  Next I turned to wool dryer balls, which I found on etsy, but unfortunately they shed and I got little bits of fuzz on all my diapers' velcro.  So I went back to the noisy plastic dryer balls. Then I heard about Woolzies.  They are handmade in Nepal from New Zealand wool, and they promise to reduce drying time by up to 25% and soften your laundry safely.  They also promise not t shed, so they are even safe for people with wool allergies!  I had actually put them in my cart at drugstore.com but before I purchased them, the Woolzies company put out a call for bloggers to review them...so here I am.

While I did receive a 6-pack of Woolzies for free, my review is 100% honest.  And here it is:

My Woolzies came in the mail on the very day that I was playing laundry catch-up, so it was perfect timing to try them out.  I had regular laundry as well as diaper laundry to try them on.  The Woolzies are white and are larger than the wool balls I had bought from an etsy seller; they are even bigger than tennis balls.  They are so quiet; I can't hear them bouncing around in the dryer like I could with my plastic dryer balls -- even my husband commented on being glad NOT to hear them!  So far, no shedding.  I think they reduce drying time and static just as well as the plastic ones. 

What if you don't use cloth diapers?  Are Woolzies worth it?  They cost around $30 for 6, and they are supposed to last for at least one year or 500 loads.  I can't even remember how much I used to spend on dryer sheets, but I imagine it's comparable.  Of course, they are environmentally friendly, and they won't get any toxic chemicals on your laundry.  I would definitely recommend them to anyone who does laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment