Monday, August 15, 2011

Dystopia Burnout

I think I'm over dystopias.

My love affair with dystopias began with Lois Lowry's The Giver and continued with books like Janet McNaughton's The Secret Under My Skin and, more recently -- and, of course -- The Hunger Games books by Suzanne Collins. But now that those are coming to the big screen, dystopias are being released left and right, trying to compete with the recent rash of vampires, werewolves, and zombies. And for a while, it was my new favorite genre. But now, I think I'm weary of the whole trend. Maybe I want a little optimism for a change. Is the future really all doom and gloom?

So, I'm going to continue with my new favorite genre: the cozy mystery. My favorite cozy series is July Hyzy's White House Mystery Series, starting with The State of the Onion. Main character Ollie is a chef at the White House, serving a fictional administration, and, of course, often finding herself in the midst of plots involving murder, terrorism, and danger galore -- while still finding time to create delicious menus (included)! Hopefully number 5 in the series will be published soon.

How about you? Tired of a genre you once loved? What are YOU reading (besides The Help)?

No comments:

Post a Comment